Saturday, August 16, 2008

The last of the PCH

We loaded the bikes and headed down the highway by 5:00am and found that it was much colder than we had thought it would be. Within 20 miles we stopped and put on some warmer clothes. As the sun rose it came up very red, so we figured there was still allot of smoke in the air from the California fires.

We stopped at the Nevada border and took pictures. We could have parked the bikes sideways in the road for pictures because we didn't see another car the entire time we were stopped, and we only passed 2 other vehicles in 100 miles.We arrived in Denio Junction by 7:00am and found the gas station was open. It had opened at 6:30 so we couldn't have come too much earlier and we've have made at about opening time except for our stops. They don't accept credit cards so we had to take cash into the restaurant to pre-pay, but since we were out of Oregon we could pump our own gas. Some guy wandered over to talk to us about his riding trip. He'd been riding in the same area we had, but kept bragging about all the bars he'd been to on his trip. We nodded politely and excused ourselves as fast as we could.

From Denio we chewed up the miles through Winnemucka all the way to Elko, NV. We stopped for lunch in Elko and recharged ourselves. This was a pretty boring desert stretch today and the heat was picking up.

Clay wanted to stay at the restaurant longer than I did, and he was experiencing a lot of buffeting at the speeds I was wanted to ride at, so we bid each other farewell and I headed on down the highway alone.

I got to my brother Jim's house in Linden, UT about 5:30 PM and it was nice to get off the motorcycle for a while. Meanwhile, Angela and the kids left home this morning, also heading for Jim's house,and they arrived about 7:30.

We spent the next few days in the Provo/SLC area seeing the sights and visiting with family. Kristi and I even got in a little motorcycle ride up Provo Canyon.We also just happened to be in Provo at the same time all of my female cousins were there have a reunion, including my sister Elly. Elly lives in Littleton CO and when we found out she was in Provo also we had to get together.

The girls all then decided to set aside Saturday night and let the boy cousins join in the fun so we all met u p at a park east of the Provo temple.
Kristi and I also hit a couple spots on the M/C where we hoped we might run in to Stewart, who was still in the MTC at the time.
On Sunday July 20th, we packed up and headed for home. I had been on the road since July 5th and I was ready to get home. Kristi, my up and coming biker chick, rode 300 miles with me from Nephi, UT to Page, AZ.The trip was awesome. We saw some of the most beautiful scenery there is. The total mileage was 3850 miles. The motorcycle ran great; not even a little hiccup. No break downs, no accidents, and lots of fun.

Of course, life marched on while we were gone. Time, and apparently grass, stops for no man.

1 comment:

As the World "Kerns" said...

Hi John and family! I finally got a chance to look at your blog again. I LOVE all your pictures and it makes me jealous that you were able to take that time and see all the LIGHTHOUSES! I love lighthouses and the PCH, Eric and I took that drive on our honeymoon up as far as San Francisco, we need to start there and go the rest of the way one of these days. I love seeing all the pics of your family and sorry we all missed each other when you came. Just a hard time for me, it's been difficult recuperating after all the stuff that happened when I had Neal. He's doing great though, and hopefully one of these days I will get some energy! Hope all is well with you and again, I love the pictures and the writing; it's great to see it through your eyes! LOL!